We work to cultivate passion for coffee, people, and excellence amongst our teams. We want our people to be accepted, gain skill and expertise, to form relationships and commitment to each other.
On-the-job training is a cornerstone of our approach. By combining brew theory with hands-on practice, we equip our team with everything they will need need to know to brew and serve specialty coffee and grow as a professional.
Our coffee education includes learning about the various aspects of coffee, including its origins, cultivation, processing, roasting, brewing, and tasting, in order to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of coffee.
Members of our team will acquire the knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to advance in this profession and achieve career goals. You will set goals, seek opportunities for growth and development, and continuously learn and adapt to changes in the job market.
We will work together towards a shared goal, and individuals will contribute their skills and expertise to achieve. We expect effective communication, active listening, and a willingness to compromise and work through challenges.
Retail & Coffee Lab Manager
About Asunder Coffee Roasters
Asunder Coffee Roasters strives to uplift community members and connect local and natural resources to create sustainable, quality coffee.
We bring separate pieces together to create something magical, like roasted beans coming together to make an exceptional cup of coffee.
Our roastery space connects in-person bean buying, small batch roasting, and an experimentation lab for a uniquely interactive coffee experience.
The Retail & Coffee Lab Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Coffee Lab and Retail space. The ideal candidate is comfortable actively engaging customers about coffee, being part of the first impression, and managing the daily operations.
This position requires a high caliber of organization skills and the ability to switch between technical and service responsibilities.
The Retail & Coffee Lab Manager is the primary role in the front of house. The Manager will help establish and continually reinforce the atmosphere and experience of Asunder Coffee Roasters. This includes ensuring a clean, well-stocked space and being knowledgeable of all Asunder products and coffee preparation methods.
- Be an uplifting presence in and for the community
- Oversee all storefront operations, including look and feel, prepared coffee, and retail offerings
- Maintain a safe, clean, inviting space for all visitors
- Daily brew coffee
- Monitor, manage, order, and take inventory of retail space and offerings
- Assist with the planning of and oversee in-store events and promotions
- Analyze sales and revenue reports to forecast inventory needs
- Communicate with product and wholesale vendors
- Collaborate with Head Roaster on coffee offerings and experiences
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team on brand alignment, website updates, digital content creation/gathering
- Hire, train, and positively lead front of house staff
- Continually learn, seek out, and experiment with coffee, market trends, and new opportunities
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- High level of organizational skills and attention to detail
- Desire to be involved in the revitalization of Buena Vista, VA
- Prior retail or similar customer service-related role
- Ability to read and analyze financial data
- Eager to learn and grow within the specialty coffee world
- Proficient in digital communication tools (email, Slack, social media), Microsoft Office, Google Suite (email, docs, sheets,) and operations-related applications
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team making positive contributions
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to properly manage time and prioritize tasks and responsibilities
Desired Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of roasting and preparing specialty coffee
- Retail sales, inventory management, and stocking
- Knowledge of Shopify, Point of Sale (POS) systems, QuickBooks
Schedule: 40 hours per week role with limited responsibilities that may fall outside of M-F daytime hours.
Salary: $32-55k based on experience
Reports to: Adam Lawrence, CEO
Send a resume and letter of interest that includes your personal / professional experience with coffee to email@example.com
Asunder is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build an inclusive workforce that is a positive influence in our city. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and the LGBTQIA community. The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position.